This plugin adds several improvements to WordPress’ default way of creating excerpts.
- Keeps HTML markup in the excerpt (and you get to choose which tags are included)
- Trims the excerpt to a given length using either character count or word count
- Only the ‘real’ text is counted (HTML is ignored but kept)
- Customizes the excerpt length and the ellipsis character that are used
- Completes the last word or sentence in an excerpt (no weird cuts)
- Adds a read-more link to the text
- Ignores custom excerpts and use the generated one instead
- Theme developers can use
the_advanced_excerpt()for even more control (see the FAQ)
Most of the above features are optional and/or can be customized by the user or theme developer.
Banner image credit – chillihead
Original plugin author – basvd
- What is WordPress
- Fee Themes and plugins