Trustworthy and simple cookie consent solution for GDPR/ePR and CCPA compliance
Cookiebot is a cloud-driven solution that automatically controls cookies and trackers, enabling full GDPR/ePR and CCPA compliance and offering:
- A highly customizable consent banner to handle consents and give the user the possibility to opt in and out of cookie categories, as required by the GDPR/ePR, CCPA and similar legislations around the world.
- A Do Not Sell My Personal Information link on the cookie declaration for end-users to opt out of having their data sold to third parties, as required by the CCPA – including the special opt-in banner for sites that have visitors under the age of 16, also in accordance with CCPA.
- Monthly website scans, detecting all first- and third-party cookies and similar tracking on your site (e.g. HTML5 Local Storage, Flash Local Shared Object, Silverlight Isolated Storage, IndexedDB, ultrasound beacons, pixel tags etc.) as well as their provenance, duration and where the data is sent to.
- The unique Cookiebot feature of automatic cookie blocking. All cookies and tracking are automatically held back right from the moment the user lands on the website and until the proper consent has been obtained, enabling compliance with the GDPR and the ePrivacy Directive.
- An easy way to allow the user to change or withdraw their consent.
- Supports 45 languages in consent banner and cookie declaration.
- Secure storage of user consents in our cloud-driven environment. The user consents are downloadable and can be used as proof that the consent was given.
- Execution of cookie-setting scripts without a page reload, if the user gives consent.
Please read our FAQ at the bottom of the page for more information.
Will my website become compliant once I install Cookiebot?
If you use our plugin version 3.0 or later and choose the automatic implementation, Cookiebot enables full compliance with the ‘prior consent’ requirement of the GDPR, the ePrivacy Directive (ePR) and similar legal instruments for protection of user data around the world.
Cookiebot also enables compliance with the CCPA through the implementation of the Do Not Sell My Personal Information link on a website’s cookie declaration, as well as the opt-in banner required if your website targets visitors under the age of 16.
The default consent banner has the strictest settings possible and is suitable for obtaining consent under both GDPR and the ePR. Make sure to adapt the consent banner content to fit your website. You should also check out our GDPR checklist if you have users from the European Union. If you are using server-side cookies, please check the “Server side usage” guide.
However, being a customizable plugin, true compliance always depends on the website owner choosing a type of banner, wording and settings that are compliant with the local legislation and fits the specific website and company (data controller).
If you choose the manual implementation…
Then please make sure of the following:
If you are using plugins that set cookies which require consent (which most do), you have to:
- Ask the plugin developers if they are planning on becoming GDPR/CCPA compliant, or if they would like to integrate with Cookiebot.
- Check out our Github repository, where we are developing integrations for Cookiebot, until the plugin developers choose to do this themselves, or if WP Core enables such functionality.
Once Cookiebot is installed and we’ve scanned your site, you can check the cookie report to identify all cookies being set on your website. If the cookies are coming from content that you have inserted manually, you can mark up that content as described in our manual implementation guide step 4.
Embedded videos and iframes which set cookies can be marked up as explained in our Iframe cookie consent with YouTube example.
Add-ons are produced by an open-source community of developers. This is done to help make it easier for WordPress users to implement ‘prior consent’ for cookies and trackers set by plugins that do not offer this as a built-in functionality.
The add-ons are currently the best alternative to a WordPress Core framework that can signal the user’s consent state to other plugins (if and when this will be implemented is unknown) and to those plugins who do not yet offer native support for Cookiebot built into the plugin itself.
We do not assume any responsibility for the use of these add-ons. If one of the plugins that the add-ons hook into makes a ‘breaking change’, there may be a period of time where the add-on will not work properly until it has been updated to accommodate the changes in the plugin.
If your favourite plugin isn’t supported you’re welcome to contribute or request on our Github development page.
Copyright and Trademarks
Cookiebot is a registered trademark of Cybot A/S