The Performance Lab plugin is a collection of modules focused on enhancing performance of your site, most of which should eventually be merged into WordPress core. The plugin allows to individually enable and test the modules to get their benefits before they become available in WordPress core, and to provide feedback to further improve the solutions.
Currently the plugin includes the following performance modules:
- Dominant Color: Adds support to store dominant color for an image and create a placeholder background with that color.
- WebP Uploads: Creates WebP versions for new JPEG image uploads if supported by the server.
- Full Page Cache Health Check: Adds a check for full page cache in Site Health status.
- WebP Support Health Check: Adds a WebP support check in Site Health status.
- Autoloaded Options Health Check: Adds a check for autoloaded options in Site Health status.
- Enqueued Assets Health Check: Adds a CSS and JS resource check in Site Health status.
- Persistent Object Cache Health Check: Adds a persistent object cache check for sites with non-trivial amounts of data in Site Health status.