UPDATE: This feature plugin was merged in WordPress Core on August 11, 2020, with WordPress 5.6.
The purpose of this plugin is to prepare a future Plugins & Themes automatic updates feature.
Please note that the code of this plugin is not meant to land in WordPress Core “as it is”, its code will be completely reworked for core merge. This plugin is meant to discuss auto-updates principles and user interface.
In 2018, Matt Mullenweg posted 9 projects for Core to focus on in 2019. We didn’t ship as many as hoped, but we made a lot of progress. Plugins and Themes Automatic Updates were one of those 9 projects. This project is now milestoned to WordPress 5.5 and this feature plugin is here to help move towards this achievement.
For full details, see the Feature Plugin proposal published on Make/Core.
Weekly meetings summaries:
- Auto-updates feature meeting summary: May 12, 2020
- Auto-updates feature meeting summary: May 4, 2020
- Merge Announcement: Plugins & Themes Auto-Updates
- Auto-updates feature meeting summary: April 28, 2020
- Auto-updates feature meeting summary: April 21, 2020
- Auto-updates feature meeting summary: April 14th, 2020
- Auto-updates feature meeting summary: April 7th, 2020
- Auto-updates feature meeting summary: March 17th, 2020
- Auto-updates feature meeting summary: March 10th, 2020 – Kick-off meeting
- Update on the 9 projects for 2019
- Related Trac ticket for plugins & themes auto-updates core merge
- Former Trac tickets for plugins & themes auto-updates
This project is currently driven by Jb Audras & Paul Biron and it’s being developed on GitHub.
Interested in contributing to this plugin? Feel free to join us in
#core-auto-updates channel on Make WordPress Slack Team. We’ll host weekly meetings on Slack every Tuesdays at 17:00 UTC.